Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My Factory Winchester

In 2001 when I learned that Winchester was producing a new .410 shotgun lever action, I ordered one almost before the ink was dry on my American Rifleman magazine.
The order alone was a real test, I finally took delivery in 2002. The wood on my gun was really nice. Nothing beats Walnut with fiddleback markings. A factory engraved Winchester had been on my wish list for as long as I have been studying engraving, by now, for several years. After thinking about it for a few weeks I decided to contact the Custom Shop just to check what might be involved.
Leslee Dingler, the custom shop manager had me hooked before the phone call was over.I boxed up my new Winchester and sent it New Haven. In a few days Leslee called me to discuss my project and to price the job. I swallowed hard kept reminding myself that I had "always wanted a factory engraved Winchester" and sent her a check for half the cost.
As it turned out, the custom work took a little less time for them to finish than it took for my gun shop to recieve and deliver this Levergun. Sending a check for the balance due, I was notified that my gun would ship within the box. They shipped my gun back to me in a hard case, it was a good thing too! UPS handling that day was rough and the case was cracked, but the contents was not hurt.

No comments: